I normally do all my inshore/flats fishing with a 7 1/2 foot light to med action rod. They in my opinion are the best for the flats because you can get good long casts and the rods have great sensitivity for feeling when a fish bumps you lure or bait. However most of my fishing lately has been in narrow mangrove lined creeks and other tight areas where accuracy is more important than distance.
So I called an acquaintance of mine, Jim Gamble at Dudley Rods and told him I was looking for a 6 1/2 foot rod with plenty of sensitivity and a fast enough action to allow me to still reach out when I needed to, yet enough backbone to turn a large snook or redfish and keep them out of the mangrove roots.
He told me he could build me just the right rod to suit my needs. He used a 6 1/2 foot G. Loomis IMX blank with 7 Fuji SiC guides and a skeleton reel seat with a cork insert. The rod turned out beautiful.
I put on an extra reel I had sitting around and tied on a small jighead I had laying around and practiced casting it around in the front yard. The rod has a very nice action, I can cast it far enough to suit most of my fishing applications and it is very accurate. I can tell it is going to be one of my favorite rods for fishing in the mangroves. I will post a full report on the rod after I put it to use later this week..like hopefully tomorrow morning..if the wind lays down...
Jim can build you a custom rod to fit any application you desire at an affordable price to fit your budget. You can even pick out different colors for you wraps to show support for your favorite teams or whatever suits your individual tastes.
Jim can be reached at www.dudleyrods.com. Tell him you heard about him on The Hotrod Gheenoe Fishing Blog!
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
Gotta New Toy...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment