Monday, October 09, 2006

A Quick Fishing Report for Oct 9, 2006

I launched from Williams Park on the Alafia river at 7:00 am and caught bait along the edges of the mangroves in shallow water. The bait was plentiful and I only used about 2 handfuls of chum to get them balled up so I could fill my baitwell in 2 throws of my 7ft castnet.
From there I motored about 200 yards to my first stop and put a nice frisky scaled sardine on a #4 Owner Mutu Light Circle hook and tossed it out next to the mangroves. The bait swam around for a few minutes with nothing trying to eat it so I reeled it in a couple cranks and let it swim for a few more minutes and then I started to reel it in so I could toss it somewhere else. I was almost ready to lift it out of the water when I heard the familiar popping sound of a snook feeding on the surface. It had hit my bait within 5 feet of the boat and it was still on! I started reeling in the slack and the snook came to the surface and took off for the shore line. I got a good look at it and it was a nice upper slot snook. Immediatley I started thinking about my camera and getting a nice picture etc...and the snook spit the hook.
I switched rods to my other which had a bigger hook, a #2 mustad live bait hook, and baited up and tossed it out to the same area. Fish on immediately. Set the hook and reeling and fish off. Okay, that's how they wanted to play today. Fine. I got just the thing. I tied on a #1 Owner Mutu Light Circle and put on a nice big scaled sardine and tossed it out. Fish on again, but this time I got it to the boat. A nice lower slot snook. I didnt bother to take a picture as I wanted to get the fish back in the water and catch one a little more photo worthy. I ended up pulling 8 snook and a redfish to the boat from that spot in the next hour along with 3 or 4 spit hooks and a couple break offs. By then the tide had pretty much slowed and the bite with it. I tried a few more spots just to see if there was anybody home but only caught ladyfish. So I went back to the first spot and tossed a big bait out next the the channel dropoff and went about cleaning the boat and emptying the baitwell so I wouldnt have to mess with it back at the ramp. When I pulled my line in I had a nice slimy suprise waiting for me.



All's well that ends well...

No comments: